How Fauquier Got Its Name

Frederick George Fauquier – Part I

From the Archives of the Arrow Lakes Historical Society

S.J. Clarke Publishing Company 1914

Few men are more prominently or more widely known in the district around the Arrow Lakes than Frederick George Fauquier, who is the founder of the fruit-growing industry in this section and therefore one of the greatest individual forces in the growth and development of the locality. Mr. Fauquier had been engaged in fruit-growing here since 1904 and has today one of the finest producing fruit ranches and one of the best equipped establishments for handling the product in this section. He was born in Woodstock, Ontario 13, 1852, and is a son of Frederick D. and Elisabeth Fauquier, the former minister of the Church of England, afterward becoming bishop of Algoma. The parents have passed away.

F. G. Fauquier acquired his early education in Hellmuth College in London, Ontario, afterward entering Trinity College in Toronto. He was graduated from the latter institution in 1873. Following the completion of his studies he engaged in farming for three years and then moved to Muskoka, Ontario, where he remained until 1885, during which time he became very well known in public life, serving as a member of the local legislature for Muskoka and Parry Sound, When he left Ontario he moved to the northwest and located in Maple Creek, Saskatchewan, in 1885, there engaging in stock-ranching until 1893. In that year he moved to the Kootenay district and after staying for a short time at Nelson he moved to Nakusp, where he was appointed mining recorder. From that city he moved to Revelstoke and there served as gold commissioner for some time. In 1885 he preempted land on the Lower Arrow Lake, then a virgin country, securing possession of the tract which is now the center of his extensive holdings in and around Fauquier, afterward named in his honor.This is located at a deep water landing, making shipping facilities excellent and adding to the advantages of this locality as a fruit-growing center. When Mr. Fauquier located here it was with the expectation of making it a town and the shipping point for the mines, which were then being developed back from the lake at this point. These mines failed to prove paying propositions and, having the land on his hands, Mr. Fauquier began experimenting in fruit growing. A few strawberry plants previously set out had done splendidly and the fruit trees, about a dozen, set out in 1898 proved so promising that he immediately set out one hundred more. These were the first trees on the Arrow Lakes for commercial fruit growing, In 1904 he moved  upon his ranch and began raising fruit for the market. He now has forty acres in bearing and ships many carloads every year. His ranch, well known as the Needles Fruit Ranch, is a model one in every respect, being provided with all the equipment necessary for the packing and preservation of fruit, and his success is amply attested by the great number of prizes which he has been awarded on his exhibits wherever shown in Canada, the States or in England. Mr. Fauquier gives practically his entire time and attention to the scientific development of the property, and his success is the natural reward of his ability and intelligent management.

SS Bonnington Plying the Waters of Lower Arrow Lake
SS Bonnington Plying the Waters of the Lower Arrow Lake

Mr. Fauquier is a charter member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and of the Order of Foresters and is connected also with Oxford Lodge, No. 76, A.F. & A.M. He belongs to the Church of England and gives his political allegiance to the conservative party, taking an intelligent and active interest in public affairs, He stands as a central figure in the promotion of fruit-growing interests here, a pioneer in the development of one of the greatest resources in the locality, and the community owes him a debt which can never be fully repaid.

%d bloggers like this: